Thursday, July 21, 2011

Banana- Honey Cupcakes CMD Style







Yesterday was one of those days where I wished I could hit the re-do button, but I can’t – I have to move forward. So to cope with this feeling, I decided to bake for my job’s summer picnic. I wanted to try this recipe I came across in my 500 Cupcake calendar from March 7th, 2011. I was slightly shocked at the fact that I didn’t need eggs or milk. I have a friend that is a vegetarian and figured he would like it. Before I made them, I wanted to do some research on banana honey cupcakes. So I went to Martha Stewart's Website:
http://www.marthastewart.com/314063/banana-cupcakes-with-honey-cinnamon-fros
to see her take on banana-honey cupcakes were; I also went to the Bread & Honey Blog.
The author of the Bread & HoneyBlog used the same recipe that I had from the 500 cupcakes. So I proceeded forward, As with any baking I usually do: I tasted the batter first and found it ok. But I don’t want just OK baked goods - I want baked goods that make people smile, so I added more “bananas.” I added some 99 Banana liqueur (49.5%) and vanilla in the batter, and the batter tasted heavenly!!!! I whipped the ingredients into submission; I had to get my feelings out, since I was upset and angry!!!!! Plus it good to add as much air as possible to the batter for lighter cupcakes ( I may be wrong), I blended for at least 10 minutes, changing the speeds on the mixer.
Earlier that day, I got some news that made it seem like everything I am working for was being taken away. I decided to relieve the stress by cooking in a full house, which is always fun - especially when my little cousin decides she wants to stand over my shoulders and cook ramen noodles in the microwave. On top of that, cooking in my Aunt’s kitchen around dinner time was like doing the Electric Slide. Boogie Woogie Woogie!
Near the end of baking, my Darling Mom called and asked me to pick her up from the light rail stop. I wanted to scream because I had 18 minutes and 32 seconds to get her and come back to the house why was time such an issue? Because I had just put the cupcakes in the oven I like to stay around and make sure they don’t explode. ( Yes Food can explode it is still a chemical reaction)
So my cousin and I sped down Druid Hill Ave to fetch my mom. I am pretty sure I gave my cousin a heart attack with the way I drove, but we got there in record time - 6 minutes. Of course, trying to get my mom to get in the car was an issue, and performing an illegal u-turn is always fun. Suffice it to say, I made it back just as the timer for the cupcakes went off.
I have been thinking a lot and these cupcakes helped me clear my head. My Aunt, being ever so wise and not looking a bit close to her age, reminded me that we as people are blessed with a multitude of talents and sometimes we should explore those talents that have been bestowed upon us. But I don’t know…I just know that I made some kick ass cupcakes with PICTURES!
PS: So no my cupcakes did not win the Dessert Competition at my Job's picnic. But that okay cause I can try again another time. Also if you don’t have time to bake these, email me and I will bake them for a fee plus delivery charge, but only to residents in the Central MD area. Why Cause I am a genuine legal hustler!
Until Next time, Deaverster
My Wonderful Aunt eating a Cupcake!
Banana and Honey Cupcakes: ( This is my take of an adapted recipe)
Ingredients:
2 cups (about 6) mashed ripe bananas
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
6 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Cinnamon sugar
75 ml of Banana Liqueurs (Imitation Rum or Banana Extract)
Pinch of salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. Line muffin pans with paper liners.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the bananas, sugar, honey, and butter.
  4. Beat with an electric mixer until well blended. ( I mix the batter for 10 mins)
  5. Slowly add the flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix well.
  6. Spoon the batter into the cups.
  7. Bake for 20 minutes.
  8. Remove pans from the oven and cool for 5 minutes
  9. Remove the cupcakes and cool on a rack than cool for another 10 mins.
  10. When completely cool, frost or sprinkle with powdered sugar ( if you want to keep it low fat)
Cinnamon- Honey Buttercream Frosting
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon milk
1 teaspoon Southern Comfort Bourbon ( it more like 2 splashes of Bourbon)

Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, beat confectioners' sugar, unsalted butter, honey, and ground cinnamon until smooth for 4 to 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment