Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Crab Cakes

Yummy delicious crab cakes. It is a Maryland staple. You can't go to many restaurants in my great state and not find a crab cake. It is such a simple treat, yet so easy to fuck up. I will walk you through it.


Firstly a true Maryland crab cake does not have a lot of ingredients.

And Grey Poupon and one more egg.


Recipe
1# of Lump or Jumbo Lump Crab Meat (I use J.M. Clayton Maryland Crab Meat)
1# of Back Fin Crab Meat
1 tbl sp. of Lemon Juice
3 Eggs
1 tbl sp. Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
Old Bay seafood seasoning to taste (2 or 3 tbl spoons do it for me)
3/4-1 cup of Mayo
1/2-3/4 cup of bread crumbs
Melted butter (reserve 1/4 cup)
Parsley flakes


This is it. Nothing else. Well, some old people add Worcesterchire Sauce instead of lemon, but that is all you can change!
Screw these alleged "Maryland Style Crab Cakes" with onions, peppers, or other random ass vegetables. If I just spent about $40 dollars on crab meat, I want to taste it! All I want in my mouth in sweet luscious crab meat and a few accoutrements to hold it together.


1. Pick your crab meat. Run your fingers through to remove and missed shells or gills(a.k.a "deadman" I don't know why), and orange crap. There shouldn't be a lot, but nothing screws up a "Crab Cake Experience" like finding any of this crap in your cake.








2. Make the dressing!
4 tbl sp. of melted butter, lemon juice, eggs, mustard, mayo, Old Bay, and parsley flakes in a bowl and mix it up. Reserve some in a cup, because you can't take it back out and you probably don't have extra crab meat hanging around. Please note this has to much Old Bay in it, I fucked up. I added more Mayo and an extra egg to fix it and forgot to take another picture. Shit happens.



3.Lightly, and damn you I MEAN LIGHTLY toss your crab meat in the dressing with the tips of your fingers. Keep those luscious crab lumps whole!


4. Add your bread crumbs (I like to use panko) until the mixture just holds together but is still moist. Seem a bit dry? Add the left over dressing until it will hold it's shape but is still moist.




Do you see those LUMPS. Those lovely lumps. Crabby bumps and humps? They got me tripping. Put them in the oven for 30-35 minutes on 350 until they are sexy and brown. Remove them from the oven and brush them with your left over melted butter.




Oh my God! Don't you want that? I had it with Spring baby greens and a Tri-Potato, Onion and Pea Salad, with Dill Vinaigrette.

No comments:

Post a Comment