Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Healthy Party in my Tummy: Glazed Carrots

I have been dreaming of Carrots for a while now since October.  I love their natural sweetness and the crunch factor. Most restaurants I go to only make them steamed which is OK, but they are not the same as making them at home. I found this recipe in Martha Stewart's Magazine and I did modify it because I wanted more of a glaze.

Glazed Carrots with Thyme from Food Everyday: A Martha Stewart Magazine.

·         ¼ cup of granulated Brown Sugar
·         ¾ stick of unsalted butter (cut into Slices)
·         1-2 ½ lbs of Carrots (in sliced in sticks)
·         1 tsp of Honey
·         1 tablespoon of Fresh Thyme or Dill (optional)
·         Coarse Salt and Pepper, some Mrs. Dash
*I sliced my bag of carrots but you can also use baby carrots also. 

1.      In a large skillet add 1 1/3 cup of Water, Brown Sugar , Honey and Butter. Allow them to boil.
2.      Add the carrots and cover, also reduce the heat.
3.      Partially cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. For a softer carrot than allow to cook four up to 15 minutes.
4.      Toss the Carrots often so they won’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
5.      Add in the Thyme or Dill  than cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
6.      Take the Carrots of the stove and add some salt and pepper than serve.

The original recipe is below in case you find my recipe to be to sweet or daring.

·         3 Tbsp dark Brown Sugar
·         ¼ cup unsalted butter
·         2 ½ lbs of Baby Carrots
·         1 tablespoon of Fresh Thyme or Dill (optional)
·         Coarse Salt and Pepper, some Mrs. Dash

Follow the same instructions up top just omit the honey.



I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. Sorry no pictures this time I need a better camera.

P.S. Here some Scientific Facts from my Brain! Carrot gets its characteristic and bright orange color from β-carotene, which is metabolised into vitamin A in humans when bile salts are present in the intestines. Lack of vitamin A can cause poor vision, including night vision, and vision which can be restored by adding it back into the diet. If you do not have a genetic eye condition or macular degeneration.
Reference:

Stewart, Martha. "Glazed Carrots with Thyme." Everyday Food November 2011 issue 87: pg 86. ( not correct formatting)

No comments:

Post a Comment